Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Nostrums and Weirdness

Dr. Jake Limberleg's Nostrum Fair and Technological Medicine Show. What's a nostrum fair or a technological medicine show, you may ask? I still haven't quite figured that out yet...BUT the magical, wonderful google has come and saved the day. A nostrum is a type of medicine that is prepared from an unqualified person and I'm pretty sure everyone out there knows what a fair is, right? The other part I kind of guessed on (mostly because google kind of failed me on this one), although I guess it is common sense if you think about it, technological means something do with technology, medicine is...medicine, and a show is a display or demonstration. Thus, a Nostrum Fair and Technological Medicine Show is essentially a Traveling Fair of made-up medicines with some technology-type medicines put on display. Ta-da!

This rambling definition does have a point, A POINT I TELL YOU! Sorry, I needed to get that out of my system (it's been a long day)...anyways, I have been reading The Boneshaker by Kate Milford for about a week, maybe more, and the whole basis is around this creepy man coming into town and then all of these weird things (for lack of a better word) start happening. The whole book itself kind of reminds me of A Series of Unfortunate Events, that odd kind of mystical yet not quite misunderstandable (is that word?). Despite the strangeness of the book, I rather like this book. Good night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment