Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Women and Skin

*Enjoy my mini rant...I was feeling rather philosophical at the time*
I've been reading The Secret Life of Bees lately and I realized that for all that I have learned about the Civil Rights movement and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, I don't think about rights that often. So many of us are growing up in an age in which many of assume that we should all have certain rights and, thankfully, many of us have those rights. Not many little girls today think about that fact that about 100 years ago they would have been expected to learn how to sew and take care of children. If I was born in that lifetime I would have gone insane. Men assumed that women were inferior and deserved to stay at home. Even women had problems taking leadership roles, during the Seneca Falls Convention, a man was asked to head the project because women didn't think it was proper to have a woman in that position. Crazy. Along with women, African Americans didn't have the same rights as others. This book I'm reading has in a way opened my mind to some more thought into the matter of rights for blacks. It's odd to think that when my grandmother was a little girl there was still segregation. There were Jim Crow laws and literacy tests, all of those horrible things that we learn about in history class, and yet, all of if happened 50-60 years ago. Not that many people who are growing up in this age of technology and "information" realize that life was extremely different not that long ago. It's kind of hard to wrap your mind around. People, ordinary people, hated others simply for the color of their skin. I think that shows how cruel humans can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment