Thursday, November 3, 2011

Botherations

When I started reading Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne, I didn't know what to expect. Yet, after the first chapter or so I was pretty excited. Although that may be because they kept refering to the narwhal in the book as a "unicorn," but that's just me. Anyways, the only draw back that I have come into would probably be the fact that Verne has a tendency to make lists, long lists, page long lists. And as much as I want to know the coloring and physological tendency of a bonito fish, I find the information a little unneccessary. The listing and the usage of latitude and longitude are what really bother me. The longitude and latitude part bug me mostly because I don't (normally) have a map in front of me when I'm reading the book, thus they seem quite pointless. Maybe people back in the 1800's had maps with them at all times. Maybe. Oh well, overall it's a pretty good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment